Wednesday 19 December 2007

Cycle therapy

The knee has been a lot better today and despite some moments of stiffness (usually after sitting long periods) it hasn't really troubled me. I am resisting the urge to run however until I speak to the physio tomorrow and get a better idea of what caused it, althugh I think I know already.

My theory is that (contrary to some sound advice from John Kynaston!) I ran too soon after the Rotherham 50. I was very tight on the Sundar, particularly in my hamstrings and I didn't really stretch after the event. I rested Sunday, cycled Monday and ran a quick pace on the Tuesday. This (I think) was my undoing. I think the hamstrings were very tight casuing my knee to be out of line and resulting in an inflamation of the cartilage from rubbing. This is my theory.

I got the bike back from the bike shop today. They haven't fixed it, but they did say it's ridable while they put the parts on order. I need a new chain set, new cassette and new chain. Sounds expensive, but they seem to know what they're talking about and were helpful as ever. The guy at the shop even suggested I stay in a low gear for my training with more revolutions as pushing with my bad knee might exacerbate the probelm. I cycled about 16 miles to Ilkley and back through Burley-in-Wharfedale and had no probs with the knee. Fingers crossed that that the inflamation has gone down and it is returning to normal. I'll update the blog tomorrow after speaking to the physio.

No comments: