Friday 4 April 2008

Sweat rate

I have been reading the medical guidelines sent through by Dario and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea how much I sweat. It is apparently very important to know your sweat rate and it is strongly advised (if not compulsory) to weigh myself during the WHW event in June (to check I am not over-dehydrayed). Race medical guidelines state that runners should be guided primarily by thirst, but I think as always a balance is the optimal approach. I will be guided by thirst to some extent, but a knowlege of my sweat rate will help me to make sure I a) have enough liquid for each stage of the event and b) that I am taking somewhere in the right region of liquid on board.

I came across this article on the web which seems quite useful in determining a person's sweat rate:

Step 1: Weigh yourself before you walk, bike, jog, run, hike, Rollerblade,
play basketball, soccer or work in the garden. For example, let's say you weigh
154 pounds before you start exercising.

Step 2: Exercise for one hour in the weather conditions and at the same
workout intensity you expect to face for an upcoming run, game or special
event.

Step 3: After your workout, remove your perspiration-filled workout clothes.
Dry yourself thoroughly. Weigh yourself again. For example, let's say you weigh
150 pounds after your workout.

Step 4: To calculate your sweat rate per hour of exercise, subtract your
ending exercise weight of 150 pounds from your beginning weight of 154 pounds.
The difference of 4 pounds represents your fluid loss during exercise.Since you
should drink 16 ounces of fluid for every pound of fluid you sweat out during
exercise, multiply the number of pounds lost by 16. In this example, you should
drink 64 ounces of fluid to counteract the symptoms of dehydration and return
your body weight to normal.

Step 5: If you drank any fluid during your 60 minutes of exercise, you'll
need to add that number to the total amount of fluid lost during exercise that
you calculated in Step 4.

Here's another way you can use the information. Once you know your personal
sweat rate per hour, you can incorporate fluid breaks in your training so that
every 15 or 20 minutes you consume 10 to 12 ounces of fluid.

So tomorrow I am going to try this out by running at roughly my race pace over multi-terrain for one hour. The weather is set to be chilly over the weekend so that will obviously affect the results but it is a good cool weather guideline. I will repeat the test when/if we get some warmer weather!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not about sweat, but about those midgie nets - as a veteran of WHW support crews, well ok, I've done 2, midgie nets are compulsory, especially at Balmaha in the early morning and at Lundavra at night time. THey look quite 'Out of Africa' over a wide-brim hat, if the fashion conscious are worried.
Tucking trousers into socks is also a good tip as otherwise they do get everywhere, and full length sleeves (it's not usually warm enough for this to be uncomfortable!!)
Sounds like your training is going really well now, and WHW looks very achievable. Keep it up!
Pamela

Phil Robertson said...

Thanks so much Pamela. We'll take any advice we can get and I'll mention the Out of Africa look to the crew - some will be more interested than others!