Thursday 3 July 2008

First run since the WHW

I was busting to get out running by tonight! Ran with the club an undulating 7m over trail and cross country. I wasn't sure how the legs would react after enjoying a 10 day running-break since the big weekend. For the first 4m or so they responded well and I was really enjoying it. In terms of cardiovascular fitness I felt great too. then at around 4m, my legs seemed to become two giant knots as lactic acid and other nasties caused my muscles to cramp and my knees to tighten.

I slowed the pace and ended up walking the last half mile. Wasn't too worried or concerned really and enjoyed the run nonetheless. I will give my self another couple of days off and then build things back up slowly.

After a particularly stressful week at work, this run was just what I needed mentally. It's amazing how running (even a semi-dodgy one like this) can put everything into perspective and help you to focus on the things that are actually important.

I was reading John Kynaston's blog tonight and was interested in his "things I have learned" post. I will work on a similar post when I get some time. Also I need to decide how to reshape this blog as it's served a purpose for this year's WHW and my fundraising, but I would like to keep it going for general training.

No comments: