Monday 2 June 2008

'Tagging'

Brian Mc 'tagged' me on his blog, so here I am replying. What does this mean?

Here are the rules and my reply is just below


Tagging is easy. Just copy the following onto your post.
The rules of the game are posted at the start of your blog post.
In this case, I'm asking you 5 questions about running.
Each player answers the 5 questions on their own blog.
At the end of your post you tag 5 other people and post their names.
Go to their blogs and leave a comment on their blogs telling them they've been tagged and to look at your blog for details.
When they've answered the questions on their own blog, they come back to yours to tell you. Got that?
Here goes.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

I didn't run 10 years ago. I have always liked 'the outdoors', but running didn't feature particularly. I started running (distances) when I was 30. I used to run short distances quite well at school, but anything over 400m seemed too much like hard work. How things change!

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?

My best run experience was probably the Lairig Ghru ultra race between Braemar and Aviemore. I loved the scenery and did ok. Rotherham 50 will always be a good race to look back on as it was my first 50+ mile race. I enjoyed both of thos races the most I think.

Worst runs...there have been a few. I think the worst race I have ever taken part in was the Thames Path Ultra this year. The course was mostly under two feet of water and the alternative was to run on busy main roads. I pulled out at 20m. Very frustrating.

3. Why do you run?

Running makes me a better person. It has made me a calmer person, a braver person, a humble person, and generally a nicer person to be around. I'm also addicted to those delicious endorphins that fly round your body after a long run.

I particularly like ultra-running because I like the idea that I can move freely and relatively quickly across difficult terrain with no need for mechanical help. I like the freedom it allows me.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

Best piece of advice: enjoy it.
Worst piece of advice: always breathe in through your nose. What a load of *~@%!

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

Wow...I am the son of an American Marine who had a tour of duty of the UK during the Vietnam War.

All the folk on the WHW website have been tagged, so I'm branching out and cutting loose. I have tagged the following folk:

Paul Tranter
Derek
Steve Grabowski
Patti
Marci

Totally random, but might be interesting.

5 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Yeehah, the son of an American Marine who never escaped the joys of Yorkshire eh? I'd never have guessed.

I agree about the nose breathing thing. Total tosh.

Oswald said...

Hi Phil, ich bin immer begeistert wenn ich in deinen Blog lese. Läuft du tatsächlich so viel? Liebe Grüße Oswald
http://rentner-haben-keine-zeit.de
eMail; oswldk@yahoo.de

Patti said...

I have officially secured my reputation as blog stalker, but I have played tag. It was fun, so thanks for including me.

I have been reading about your upcoming run. Sounds like an amazing race. Happy training and good luck!

Patti

Derek said...

Hey Phil, I answered the questions, and Semper Fi. I am an ex-Marine from 91-94!

Derek said...

Good luck on your 95 miler, that sounds tough. I will be doing my first 50k in 6 weeks!